* hey, kid. this page has content that isn't available anywhere in the main game without manipulating the save data, so... it might end up spoiling a couple things for you.
* You wouldn't want to have a bad time, would you?
By traveling upwards from the "Box Road" intersection in Snowdin Forest, if the "fun value" in the
undertale.ini file is set to 65, there is an additional 50% chance that a hidden "sound test" room will appear. The menu itself contains three very short looping tracks and a longer track that, once picked, cannot be deselected. None of these tracks are used anywhere else in the game.
A short robotic track with the filename "
A short, cheery jingle with the filename "
A short series of seemingly random robotic noises with the filename "
Upon selecting this track, no other songs can be selected. After listening to Gaster's Theme for a period, the room will cease playing music, display a screen that says "Thanks for your feedback!", then return the protagonist to the room with the fishing pole. The file is titled "
This sound file contains seven text-to-speech voices from the FL Studio 11 synthesizer telling the listener not to post the game's secrets online. The odd filename was chosen to force it at the top of an alphabetical file listing and make its presence more obvious considering that all the other
.ogg-format music and sound effect files present in the executable are prefixed with either "
mus_" or "
As of Undertale v1.001, this sound file has simply been changed into laughter, presumably because numerous sources have already exploited the secrets of Undertale.
This track only plays in room_gaster, a room containing the 17th entry related to one of W. D. Gaster's experiments and only accessible through save file editing or debug mode. While it may not seem like there is much to it other than sounding distorted, it can be sped up by 1000% and have its pitch doubled to reveal Muffet's laugh, then reversed and looped.
This audio file was originally found in the Undertale Demo as "
grandpasemi.ogg" and is reminiscent of the intro to "Metal Crusher". As of Undertale v1.001, this audio file has returned as "
grandpatemi" in the form of a sound effect and seems to play when giving Temmie the Temmie Flakes is denied.
Grandpa Semi was a cut character that may have been planned to be the grandfather of Papyrus and Sans which stems from knowing that Semi refers to Semi Serif fonts. The Korean version of the Undertale Demo, which is based on an earlier build of the English Undertale Demo, also contains evidence suggesting that the phone call that the protagonist receives in Snowdin Forest from Alphys was planned to be used for Grandpa Semi instead. It is unknown if this character was cut for W. D. Gaster during development.
This song plays in an error room containing a sleeping Annoying Dog. This error room can be accessed by modifying the SAVE file.
An unused third part of "Your Best Nightmare" which includes the alarm sound effect. This part of the track does not actually play and was scrapped in favor of reusing "
mus_repeat_1" and "
mus_repeat_2". This may be to make the fight shorter or maybe there were plans to include a fourth section to the Flowey boss fight, but only the song was implemented. Interestingly, in the OST version, "Your Best Nightmare" repeats the first part at the end.
An unused first part of "Finale". This track is never played, as "
mus_f_finale_1_l" plays instead. It is simply a shorter version of the first part of Finale, most likely intended for when the player restarts their game after dying in the 2nd part of the Photoshop Flowey boss battle. "
mus_f_finale_1_l" is most likely just "mus_f_finale_1" with the
l standing for longer.
This song is a slower version of "Ruins" with a variation on the melody.
Outside the game files
Alphys Lab (Unused)
Undyne Battle (Unused)
An early version of Undyne's battle theme before her personality was fleshed out. It was replaced with "Spear of Justice" since it didn't feel like Undyne was "heroically punching the listener in the face."
Dog Hole (Unused)
An unused iteration of "Undertale" which was said to be more melancholic and less effective. This iteration was scrapped when "Redline Day" from the anime film, Redline, inspired Toby Fox to change the chords and guitar accompaniment, which would then serve as the basis for Memory.
Patient was an unfinished song for Homestuck that used the "Doctor" leitmotif. The song would later be reworked as "Another Medium" for Undertale. This song uses instrument samples from Cave Story and Chrono Trigger.
- ↑ Toby Fox on mus_star
- ↑ "This is an early unfinished version of Alphys’ lab. It sounded too similar to a certain lab song from another game, so I scrapped it. While I think the new one fits Alphys more, the last part of this one is actually pretty cool." - Undertale Tumblr. September 13, 2016.
- ↑ "I think this is the most finished-sounding of all the unused tracks. I made this before I really knew Undyne’s personality, so while the arrangement is good, I felt like it didn’t sound enough like being heroically punched in the face." - Undertale Tumblr. September 13, 2016.
- ↑ "Dog Hole" - Undertale Tumblr. September 13, 2016.
- ↑ "Originally I was going to make it if you beat the game fast enough, you’d be able to see the annoying dog in a bikini." - Undertale Tumblr. September 13, 2016.
- ↑ "@Phos_ That's actually correct." - Toby Fox. Twitter. September 13, 2016.
- ↑ "Before the song “UNDERTALE” was completed, it went through a completely different iteration. This version sounds a bit more sad, which I think would have been less effective. It wasn’t until I heard a certain song that I was inspired to completely change the chords and guitar accompaniment. This new guitar accompaniment then served as the basis for “Memory,” so we have a lot to thank that inspiring song for." - Undertale Tumblr. September 13, 2016.
- ↑ "not gonna use this for anything" - Toby Fox. Tumblr. October 9, 2012.
|Enemies||RG 03 and RG 04 • Doge|
|Music||Meat Factory • Happy Town • Trouble Dingle • Gaster's Theme • Dance of Dog • Sigh of Dog • mus_ruinspiano • mus_piano • mus_f_part3 • mus_kingdescription|
|Other||Inaccessible Rooms • Cut Items|