Golden Flowers are a type of flower that is a recurring symbol in Undertale.
Golden Flowers have corollas with five to six yellow petals. They grow on individual stems and appear to grow in patches as well. Golden Flowers are indigenous from the Surface and can easily adapt to new environments such as the Garbage Dump. Their sticky seeds helped them to be brought to and spread throughout the Underground. They can be used to make tea.
Golden Flowers can be seen throughout the game, mainly in the Ruins, the Garbage Dump, and New Home. They are first seen when the protagonist falls on them at the beginning of the game. They also cushion the protagonist's fall after Undyne cuts the bridge above the Garbage Dump.
A prominent Golden Flower is Flowey. Alphys experimented with injecting determination into many vessels, Golden Flowers among them. Alphys considered the vessels to be a failure. After the monsters that were injected with determination woke up, Alphys sent the Golden Flower vessel back to Asgore, who most likely replanted it into his garden. Once the monsters began to melt together, Alphys rushed to find the vessel only to find that it had disappeared. The vessel, which was filled with determination, absorbed Asriel's essence from his dust in the flowerbed and became sentient. This is implied to be Flowey, as Flowey mentions how he woke up as a flower in the same garden where that flower grew.
In a Neutral Route, monsters narrate the story of the first human and Asriel that occurred before the start of Undertale. A trio of Vegetoids say that the first human's last wish was to see the flowers from their village; these flowers may be the Golden Flowers seen throughout the Underground.
- Golden Flower tea is Asgore's favorite kind of tea.
- A common misconception is that Golden Flowers are buttercups, like the ones the first human and Asriel mistakenly put in a butterscotch pie. This is impossible since Golden Flowers were brought to the Underground after the first human's death.
- Some have theorized that Golden Flowers are a reference to the real-life flower called the Gorse, which is an extremely resilient flower that blooms and thrives in harsh conditions, similar to how the Golden Flowers can survive in the Garbage Dump, however the Golden Flowers shown in game hardly resembles Gorse.
- ↑ "ENTRY NUMBER 8: I've chosen a candidate. I haven't told ASGORE yet, because I want to surprise him with it... In the center of his garden, there's something special. The first golden flower, that grew before all the others. The flower from the outside world. It appeared just before the queen left. I wonder... What happens when something without a SOUL gains the will to live?" - True Lab entry number 8
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 "ENTRY NUMBER 10: experiments on the vessel are a failure. it doesn't seem to be any different from the control cases. whatever. they're a hassle to work with anyway. the seeds just stick to you, and won't let go..." - True Lab entry number 10
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 "You know... It's kind of strange you chose THAT tea. Golden flower tea... That's ASGORE's favorite kind." - Undyne
- ↑ "ENTRY NUMBER 15: Seems like this research was a dead end... But at least we got a happy ending out of it...? I sent the SOULS and the vessel back to ASGORE. And I called all of the families and told them everyone's alive. I'll send everyone back tomorrow. :)" - Alphys, True Lab
- ↑ "ENTRY NUMBER 18: the flower's gone." - Alphys, True Lab
- ↑ "I remember when I first woke up here, in the garden. I was so scared. I couldn't feel my arms or my legs... My entire body had turned into a flower!"- Flowey
|Plot Elements|| Boss Monster • Delta Rune • Echo Flowers • Golden Flowers • Player • SOUL|
The War of Humans and Monsters • Determination • Barrier