- According to an interview with Toby Fox, this was one of the six songs originally composed for other projects. The other five were Fallen Down, Heartache, Nyeh Heh Heh!, Another Medium, and MEGALOVANIA.
- Heartache, Nyeh Heh Heh!, and Bonetrousle were initially made for another RPG idea that never came to fruition.
- The artbook states that Nyeh Heh Heh! and Bonetrousle were originally the main battle theme of said idea.
- "Bonetrousle" is a made-up word. One of the notes Papyrus leaves to the protagonist after capturing them reads that Papyrus is "slightly bonetrousled" with their previous escape. The context suggests that the word might be synonymous with "worried," "flustered" or "annoyed."
- "Bonetrousle" might also come from the verb "tousle" which means to make something untidy, or "tussle," which means a short, vigorous scuffle.
- In the Genocide Route, the song is slowed down by 80% (8820Hz / 44100Hz = 0.2).
- In the game trailer for Undertale, in the segment where Bonetrousle is played, there is a segment of the theme that was never put into the final game (presuming the part all the way to the ending).
- It has distinct similarities to Unfounded Revenge from Mother 3, such as the timing and the prelude before the majority of the song.